Thursday, June 21, 2018

Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate




by



  The book that my local library book group was scheduled to read in June but could not obtain enough copies of was Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate.  I used my audible credit to obtain a copy of the audio book and finished listening to it on my way home from work tonight.   The book is a spellbinding story that is fiction but based on true events.  It is the story of a fictional family of children who were stolen from their birth family during the depression.  After being abused in a home where they were warehoused till adopted at least four of the family in the novel found good homes.  What became of the others was not told in the story.  While the family is fiction,  stories like this happened in real life from the organization the book is about.  It was an adoption ring out of Tennessee that operated from the 1920s till 1950.  While the story is mesmerizing in itself,  Lisa Wingate's use of metaphorical language is exemplary and her descriptions place the reader into the setting of the story.  I enjoyed the book's story line but I also greatly admired the writing.  I have no doubt that this book will make my top ten list this year.  If you have not yet read it don't wait any longer.  Please click on the author's name and book title above to learn more and enjoy the video that follows.  






No comments:

Post a Comment