Monday, June 4, 2018

The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian




by




The original book we had selected for our library reading group this month was not available because it was a best seller that had a long waiting list.  So our book group leader substituted The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian.  I had not read any thing by this author since his book Midwives,  which I read several years ago and enjoyed very much.   I am not sure why I have not returned to this author sooner because I now have really enjoyed two of his books.   We are fortunate as a group to have had this book substituted this month.  I remember growing up being told to think of the starving Armentains when I was being encouraged to eat my vegetables but it never sunk in what that meant.  After reading this book I know understand the reference.  While the people in this book are fictional the events are real as often is the case in historical novels.  I never realized that there was a holocaust in the First World War too.  I am aware that genocide is more prevalent throughout history than I want to know but this story was a new historical event for me.  This is a hard book to get through but a very important book. It is hard to read because the events are so tragic.  It is one that will stick with me forever.  I highly recommend that every one read this very important book.  Please click on the author's name and book title above to follow links to more information.  And watch the video that follows.  






No comments:

Post a Comment