Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Night by Elie Wiesel




by


From the time I was old enough to stand and read the book spines contained in my mother's book shelf or at least from the time I was old enough to bother, there was a small volume with the title Night across its spine on her shelf.  I was always intrigued and assumed I would read it some day.  But never did.  It has been on my reading list of books I keep to choose from when I want to select a new title at the State Library of Ohio digital book area since I obtained that library card a few years ago.  And then last week, I received a newsy email from my sister in law in Columbus, that said, among other things,  she was going to be reading Night by Elie Wiesel along with her son.  She didn't want him to read it alone with out discussing it with him.  That was the catalyst for me to download the book as soon as I completed the book I was currently reading.  Night is a short book and not hard to read as far as vocabulary.   But it is a hard book to stick with as far as content.  The book describes in horrific detail  the author's experiences in Nazi concentrations camps during the second world war.   Since my genre is historical novels and WWII is one time frame I frequently read about I am surprised that I have made it till now and not read this non fiction classic.  The author won the Nobel Peace Prize.  It should be required reading for students as soon as they are mature enough to understand and discuss the material.  Please click on the author's name and book title above and watch the video that follows.  



No comments:

Post a Comment