Monday, April 9, 2012

The Assassination of a President



My library book group is reading "Destiny of A Republic"  by Candace Miller this month.   While I normally review a book after I read it and am only about 20% through this book I wanted to mention the man who assassinated President James Garfield which was Charles J.G. Guietau .   It caught my attention that he was a member of the Utopia community called  Oneida which was a religious cult kind of place that practiced free love among the members.  The book I am reading mentions that Guietau was unable to get the women of the community,  even in this free love setting,  to give him any attention.  So he must have been a real weirdie.  Yet he was allowed to be free among society.   While I respect religions role for people and the value it adds to people's lives,  I continue to urge people to think things through for themselves and not become sucked into any extremist group.  Please follow the links to learn more. 

2 comments:


  1. This is some solid, sage advice Sweet Skeez-
    Especially for those who think so little of themselves that they *need* others to do their thinking for them.

    Cults have always freaked me out...
    The book sounds like a great historical book. (I like those).

    XOXO
    Me

    PS
    Speaking of cults... (and creepiness)...
    I think I read somewhere that Charles Manson is up for a parole hearing, again this week.
    Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw a headline about Manson's parole - shudders.
    But the National Day of Reason is coming up also. May 3, 2012.
    A good time to consider thinking things through for ones self. I am not sure if people want someone to think for them due to poor self image so much as it is laziness. Not wanting to do the homework it takes to come to ones own conclusions.

    ReplyDelete