Monday, April 25, 2016

Son Of A Witch by Gregory Maguire



by


Although fantasy is far from my normal genre,  Gregory Macguire's series The Wicked Years has captured my heart.   It has been a year since I listened to the first book Wicked on audio and then a month later attended the musical when it traveled to Dayton.  Recently, I decided to return to the series and read the second book,  Son Of A Witch,  on my kindle.   Since it was available as an ebook to check out from the State Of Ohio library,  there was no expense involved, which is good while I am off work with my broken leg.  Last night I finished the novel and it is just delightful.  Liir is a protagonist that the reader can't help but like.  He is insecure with a poor self image but a strong sense of right and wrong and during the story he comes of age.   The book,  like the first one in the series, continues to be full of political and religious underlying meanings that would take a college course to decipher in its entirety.  One of the main themes of the book remains good verses evil.  On pages 325 and 326 the author makes the statement that we usually look for evil outside of ourselves when it often is decided by what each of us chooses to do on a daily basis.   Earlier in the novel on page 295 Mr Maguire refers to the future as having a very strong force in our lives calling it the strongest magic of all.  From flying out of an underground prison on a broom stick to slaying an entire stable of dragons, this is a fast moving story of fantasy that I thoroughly enjoyed.  Not since the Lord Of The Rings trilogy has there been a set of fantasy books that has interested me like Gregory Maguire's The Wicked Years.  I look forward to reading the remaining two books in this series.   Please click on the three links above to follow the links to more information and enjoy the video that follows. 



No comments:

Post a Comment