Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Book Of the Week 4/30/13: The White Queen by Philippa Gregory


by


I wasn't sure if I would enjoy Philippa Gregory's The White Queen because,  although my favorite genre is historical novels,  I am not real found of romance novels.  I like a little romance in my historical fiction but I don't want a romance novel with a tad of history thrown in.   As it turned out,  I was not at all disappointed in The White Queen.  I felt as though I had found a fairy tale for grown ups.  It has magic,  kings,  queens,  princesses,  danger and intrigue in it along with the romance parts.  I listened to it on audio and I did feel the narrator was a bit melodramatic in her presentation at times but as the book progressed she either got better or I became accustomed to her voice because I thoroughly enjoyed listening to it.  In fact I just downloaded the second book in this series to listen to next. The White Queen  is Queen Elizabeth of Woodville.  She was the wife of King Edward IV and the story begins in the 1460's and ends in the 1480's.  She is considered The White Queen because  the House of York's symbol is the white rose.   Click on the title of the book and the author's name above to follow links to more information.  A video follows:


No comments:

Post a Comment