Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Poetry Wednesday 04/08/09



grit

by
Lynn Robbins

I chew concrete, grit between my teeth
forever, since birth, didn't even notice.
It was in the milk, the potatoes,
the prayers and first grade lessons.
I liked it, didn't have to learn, didn't
know a meal or day without it.
And the more concrete I ate,
the more it settled -- in my feet,
took away a freedom never known,
no reason or thought to fight for it,
nor even to run away.  I did not need 
shackles.  I did not need prison bars
to hold me in, being fed concrete
since day one, being told 
all I couldn't and wouldn't 
and shouldn't do.

I strain my food now, strain away
the grit, and take a smuggled chisel
to my feet each night, working
my way down to flesh and bone,
digging a tunnel to an angry voice
locked up tight in my toes, toes that 
have never touched mud or music,
toes that ache every morning to laugh,
to run, to wiggle way up in the air.

~Lynn Robbins is a poet and graphic designer whose work focuses on helping women self-publish.

(I really liked this when I read it - I am still working on "at our core: women writing about power" by Sandra Haldemann Martz- but felt it was more negative than what I wanted to post.  Yet this week I feel it even more than normal and how it applies to  women from my generation.  I hope it is better for the young girls growing up now.)

Back to Poetry Wednesday

5 comments:

  1. A wise man once told me everything must balance.
    Given one starts in this frame of mind there is no need for change just the need to balance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very discriptive of the weights and burdens of life. I hope your mood lightens, but excellent wording with this poem

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life can certainly pay a toll with the baggage that we carry with us. But one thing has been proven time and time again...it's never too late to rid ourselves of things that "weigh" us down in life and savor the sweetness of living. Although this is sad,I think it has a message of a choice for more joyful living.
    The message in this writing is quite profound as relates to women issues...thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete