Monday, May 11, 2009

Poetry Wednesday 05/13/09



Flower in the Crannied Wall
by Lord Alfred Tennyson
Flower in the crannied wall,

I pluck you out of the crannies,

I hold you here, root and all, in my hand,

Little flower -but if I could understand

What you are, root and all, and all in all,

I should know what God and man is.

(The above picture is a photo of a sculpture at the Dana Thomas House,  photo credit to the Dana Thomas website,  
on the sculpture is engraved the poem,  Flower in the Crannied Wall.  The Dana Thomas House is one of the places I visited at Springfield IL this past weekend. The house is a Frank Lloyd Wright design.)

8 comments:

  1. Ain't that the truth! How well he expressed the magnificence and our incomprehension of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, I loved reading this. There's something about it that's so sweet, and profound, too. Thanks, Laurita.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was an enjoyable read. The depth is on many levels, yet so simple. Thanks, Jay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting! I think the question is if you understand something as small as a flower, or as big as nature, depending on how you look at it, you should be able to understand the love of/from God and man. It's really a thinking poem! I LOVE it!

    http://bostonsdandd.multiply.com/journal/item/306

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a world full of such wonders....all of which begs to be thought about and pondered upon!
    What a wonderful,deep gem this one is....thanks for sharing! The pictures are wonderful as is your explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is such a cute poem, I remember learning this one at school, it says so much with so few words

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simply elegant, beautiful, lovely choice. I enjoyed the photos, too, glad you posted them.
    Thanks Mary Ellen.

    ReplyDelete