Sunday, November 6, 2011

Albrecht Durer

Link

The book that I am reading mentions the artist Albrecht Durer.  So I had to stop and look him up.  The picture at the above link is one that this artist did that must have been what  the author of the book is referring to.  Jane Addams in her book Twenty Years At Hull House  refers to her draw to this artist during her time as a young woman and  of touring Europe as her social consciousness became very aware of the poverty of the lower classes in Europe.   She felt his pictures were "surcharged with pity for the downtrodden". 

3 comments:

  1. Albrecht Durer is my favorite northern Renaissance artist. Thanks for reminding me how incredible his images are.

    Jane Addams' quote is so apt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Doug. I find I am "bookmarking" a great deal in this book on my kindle. It is available for free on the web -
    http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/addams/hullhouse/hullhouse.html

    ReplyDelete