Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Book For The Week - 1/19/12

The Paris Wife

by

Paula McLain



The Paris Wife by Paula McLain is the book we selected for January for my library reading group.  I started out really enjoying the book as the character of Earnest Hemingway and his first wife Hadley are introduced and during the time of their dating life.   About the time they got married I got sad.  The feelings of disillusionment that I felt as a new bride in each of my marriages is captured very clearly by McLain in her description of what Hadley is going through in her marriage.  I have to give Hadley credit because she stayed with Earnest for five years and I am sure I would have been on the next book back to the states after they arrived in Paris.   It was very clear to me that Earnest Hemingway was an ass.  They finally did divorce and Hadley was fortunate to find a happy second marriage while eventually Earnest killed himself.   During the book all of the people in the group of friends drank way too  much.   While I would recommend the book because it allowed me to learn about Earnest Hemingway and his first wife,  I can't say it will make my favorite book list for 2012.   Be sure and click on the title and author's name to follow the links to more information.




2 comments:

  1. I am sure he traveled in the fast lane..

    ReplyDelete
  2. That he did Sandy. He was no one to look up to that is for sure. It is not that they had a daily afternoon or evening drink that I take issue with. It was the begin to drink till you are totally sloshed and stay that way from lunch time on. It was an entire lifestyle of excess.

    ReplyDelete