Monday, July 9, 2012

Sign Talker by James Alexander Thom






by 


This evening I finished reading Sign Talker by James Alexander Thom.   It is about the Lewis and Clark expedition but it is told through the eyes of the Native American that did the hunting for the expedition and communicated with the many tribes of Native Americans that the party met along the way.   I thoroughly enjoyed this book and plan to read more of James Alexander Thom's works.   A friend recommended this author to me last winter.   James Alexander Thom lives in Southern Indiana.  He was a marine and is married to a Native American woman.   As I read this book I remembered some of the areas mentioned that I have driven though at various times in my life.   It was easy to imagine them as they were in the early 1800s as I read Thom's descriptions.   The people involved in the expedition came to life for me.  I was not that familiar with the details of the Lewis and Clark Expedition and found it fascinating.  I never knew that Merriweather Lewis had the mental health issues that he did and that he committed suicide.  I never knew that they even had a Native American along to hunt for the food that kept them alive.   I highly recommend this book.  As always, click on the  title of the book and the author's name to follow the link to learn more.



No comments:

Post a Comment