Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Wicked by Gregory Maguire




The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West

by




The fiction novel Wicked is totally out of my genre but I have to say it is one of the best books I have ever listened to on audio.  I have been enthralled by it all the way through.  It is very much an adult book and not a children's story but it is an adult fairy tale.  The story begins with the birth of the Wicked Witch of the West from the well known movie The Wizard Of Oz and tells her side of what happened.  While she lacks social skills and is not attractive to her peers,  she is very bright and grows from an infant into a young woman who is an humanitarian and an animal rights activist.  In the end my heart was heavy as she melted.  While I enjoyed listening to it on audio I feel I want to read the book in print and experience it again.  There are so many levels of meaning in its pages and although   I enjoyed the book I  feel there is much more to glean from it.  In fact it is a book I would like to take a class on to really understand all the imagery contained in the pages.  The book is about good and evil and where it comes from.  About two thirds of the way through the book I got the bug to see the broadway play and was very excited to learn it was traveling to Dayton the first two weeks in May.  A friend and I have our tickets and I am thrilled to be able to attend the production.  Please click on the title and the author's name above to follow the links to more information and enjoy the video that follows.  Gregory Maguire is now on my list of authors that I want to read more of and I highly recommend this novel.






No comments:

Post a Comment