Tuesday, November 15, 2016

On Writing Well by William Zinsser





by


As a teenager I wrote a lot of bad poetry.   And the last several years I have played around with my blog.  First on Yahoo360 and then on Multiply.  When those sites closed I moved to Blogger.   And while I do not get many comments I am always surprised at the number of  page views to my posts.  This past March when my three months in the recliner started with both bones broken in my lower leg, I got aspirations that maybe I would like to be prepared to enter some of the writing contests that I was seeing announced at that time by the time the 2017 contests were announced.  I began to gather information on a couple of my family  lines that seemed like interesting ones to write about and at the end of August for my birthday gift to myself I purchased and participated in a six week creative family history writing workshop that can be found at this SITE.  One of the many resources provided at The Family History Writing Studio is a book list of recommended reading.  One of the books that was recommended that I could check out from the State Of Ohio library on my kindle was the classic book On Writing Well by William Zinsser.   I finished reading the book in the night last night and found a lot of useful information in it.  I did find myself skimming through parts of it that did not apply to my interests and concentrating on the parts of the book that applied to my aspirations.  I do not have any desire to be a full time writer.  I don't even care if I win the contests I enter.  I just do not want to send in an entry that I am not happy with.   The course I took this September and October convinced me that "creative non fiction" is not my genre although I do think elements of it are things I will use a lot and the organizational skills I learned for putting together my writing are going to be invaluable.  In addition there were check lists provided that will facilitate exactly the items I want to research to find the information I want to include in my pieces.   William Zinsser's book also provided information that I will use on how to proceed and some pitfalls to avoid.  I do not know whether this is a book that people who normally read my blog for reading ideas will be interested in, but it is a book I would recommend if a person is trying to polish their writing craft and has not yet read it.  Please click on the links above and enjoy the video below presented by the author.  



No comments:

Post a Comment