Sunday, July 22, 2018

A Midwife's Tale by Laurel Thatcher Ulrich




by



    In May of this year I audited a class at OSU that was called Historical Research.  It was a four week class and one week was spent on this book.  We read the first two chapters and a third chapter of our choice and watched a documentary about it.  We also had discussions and a paper to write about the book.  I was totally mesmerized by the book and its topic and although we had to rush on to a new topic the next week I promised myself I would read the entire book at a later date.  This pm I just completed the book.  I totally enjoyed the book and found it fascinating.  It is a book about a woman in the late 1700's and early 1800's who was a midwife in Maine.  She kept a diary and the interpretation of that diary is Laurel Thatcher Ulrich's work that she wrote this book about.  I have a great respect for the time it took the author to piece this body of work together and found the topic and the resulting product a delight.  More information can be found by clicking on the the book title and author's name above to follow the links to more information and also HERE a link can be found that will lead the reader to actual digital images of the diary.   Below enjoy the wonderful documentary about Martha and her diary.   I found this book very inspiring and recommend it to anyone who enjoys historical non fiction, especially if they enjoy women's history.  






No comments:

Post a Comment