by
Ivan Doig
Set in Montana in 1910, The Whistling Season is a story of the one room school house. The novel actually begins in the 1950s during the beginnings of school consolidation. The superintendent of Montana schools reminisces about his education in a one room school house. Ivan Doig wrote this book in 2006 and does a good job of capturing life during that time and in that place. It is the kind of book I would have snuggled up with my kids and read, one chapter at a time, when they were upper elementary aged and could easily be required reading for high school aged students. Ivan Doig's sentence structure is a little challenging but I easily got accustomed to it and slid into the rhythm of the sentences. There were words scattered throughout that I did not know. I read it on my kindle so highlighted these new words as I read for the dictionary meaning to pop up. This is not an exciting, sit on the edge of your seat book. It is a get comfortable and relax kind of book. Click on the book title above to follow the links to more information. And enjoy the video about the author at the link that follows.
No comments:
Post a Comment