Friday, October 2, 2009

Book Of The Week



Amazon.com Review
The first and only collection of unpublished works by Kurt Vonnegut since his death--a fitting tribute to the author, and an essential contribution to the discussion of war, peace, and humanity's tendency toward violence.

Armageddon in Retrospect is a collection of twelve new and unpublished writings on war and peace. Imbued with Vonnegut's trademark rueful humor, the pieces range from a visceral nonfiction recollection of the destruction of Dresden during World War II--an essay that is as timely today as it was then--to a painfully funny short story about three Army privates and their fantasies of the perfect first meal upon returning home from war, to a darker, more poignant story about the impossibility of shielding our children from the temptations of violence. Also included are Vonnegut's last speech as well as an assortment of his artwork, and an introduction by the author's son, Mark Vonnegut. Armageddon in Retrospect says as much about the times in which we live as it does about the genius of the writer.



(I received this book as a gift and enjoyed listening to it.  It was very thought provoking.  In fact I had to stop after almost every story and take awhile to think it through.) 

2 comments:

  1. This was a great book by a great author. Vonnegut was one of those rare authors who could make you squirm in discomfort yet compelling you to read on.

    He could chronicle the foibles of our human condition, reaching down deep inside and grabbing hold of the things that cause us to say, "Could I be so caught up in things that my sanity and reason leave me so that rather than being a man of God, I, too, become a man of the mob? In the words of another author, "Tis true, 'tis true, 'tis sad, 'tis true."

    Over the years I've had an opportunity to interview soldiers who were involved at My Lai, and Kent State. These young me were not monsters or horrible people who were uncaring, unfeeling human beings. They were young men swept up in a maelstrom of emotions who in a split second reacted the wrong way and made a horrible mistake.

    For them I share their feelings of regret and remorse and the hindsight that says, "If only I had done this instead..." or "If only I would have protested just a little more I could have stopped this from happening."

    This is far different from Dresden or Hiroshima or Nagasaki where men sat down and planned these events for weeks in advance.

    Those are the monsters that Vonnegut addressed in his work.

    Great read, Mary, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tim for introducing me to Vonnegut's work.

    ReplyDelete