Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Book For The Week - 5/31/2011

About Face

by
Donna Leon



From the authors website:
"Donna Leon’s eighteen novels have won her countless fans, heaps of critical acclaim, and a place among the top ranks of international crime writers. Through the warm-hearted, perceptive, and principled Commissario Guido Brunetti, Leon’s best-selling books have explored Venice in all its aspects:  history and tourism, high culture and the changing seasons, food and family, but also violent crime and political corruption.

In About Face, her latest mystery, Leon returns to one of her signature subjects: the environment, which has reached a crisis in Italy in recent years. Incinerators across the south of Italy are at full capacity, burning who-knows-what and releasing unacceptable levels of dangerous air pollutants, while in Naples, enormous garbage piles grow in the streets. In Venice, with the polluted waters of the canals and a major chemical complex across the lagoon, the issue is never far from the fore.

Environmental concerns become significant in Brunetti’s work when an investigator from the Carabiniere, looking into the illegal hauling of garbage, asks for a favor. But the investigator is not the only one with a special request. His father-in-law needs help and a mysterious woman comes into the picture. Brunetti soon finds himself in the middle of an investigation into murder and corruption more dangerous than anything he’s seen before.

Donna Leon’s readership has significantly expanded with her recent books, including 2008’s The Girl of His Dreams, her most successful hardcover yet. Coupled with a major marketing campaign for new trade paperback editions of key backlist titles from Penguin and audiobooks from BBC America Audio, About Face, an exceptional addition to the series, is sure to take her sales to new heights.
"


(I finished listening to this book last pm on my way to work.  This is the book that caused me to be interested in looking up about dumping toxic waste in Africa.  It is the second book by Donna Leon I have listened to.  A couple years ago I listened to her "Blood From a Stone"  which prompted me to learn more about conflict diamonds.   It is my understanding that all her novels introduce a social issue.  I will look forward to listening to more of her work.  As always click on the author's name to follow the link and learn more.)

7 comments:

  1. I did quite a bit of searching and did not find any articles about toxic waste dumping in the third world more recent than 2007. I hope that means it is at least better if not a solved issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mary..always enjoy your book news.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I your SPQ. The last you you posted is on my wish list at audible. I believe it was you that posted about the book about Henrietta Lacks wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just rdered her latest for my kindle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good deal Heidi! I am going to listen to The Red Tent next because it is the selection for June at my library book group. But I will keep all I can find of Donna Leon on my wish list at audible and work my way through them. I am not sure I will like The Red Tent but will be posting about it when I finish it and let you know.

    ReplyDelete