Monday, June 27, 2011

An Evening At The Theater



Live theater is something that I do not get to enjoy too often.  It is an expensive love and  it had been about a year and a half since my Aunt took me to see Man Of La Mancha at the theater in Munster IN.   I was really ready to see another live production.  So my friend Linda and I made plans to go to the Fort Wayne Community Dinner Theater called The Arena and selected their production of "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" .  I was able to obtain the tickets and took a vacation day this past Friday for the event.   Since the Bagel Station catered for The Arena I assumed we would be stopping on the way home for a snack.  So I was presently surprised.  We both had selected the vegetarian selection and it was something like a spinach lasagna with an alfredo type sauce served on a bed of fresh spinach.  The other people at our table had the regular selection which looked like either turkey or chicken over angel hair pasta with alfredo sauce and green beans on the side.  There was water,  ice tea and coffee and a raspberry cheese cake for desert.   There is also a cash bar.   From our table we could see and hear fine.  I doubt there was a bad seat in the house.  The only problem with the physical surroundings was having to climb over every one to get to the bath room and the fact that the ladies room only had two stalls so there was quite a wait.    I had been warned that the play was a real belly laughter so I knew to be sure to use the ladies room after all the decaf and water I drank with dinner.   The play is a comedy musical and although the jokes had sexual content it was really funny.   The entire house was roaring with laughter through out the performance.  It is a story of two men on the French Riviera who make their living cheating bored rich women.  They make a bet that they can get 50 k out of this one woman first and whoever wins gets to stay and work the area and the other one has to find a new place to do his con.  Below find the finale song from a Chicago production of the same play and then the trailer of a movie of the same story.  The movie is not a musical. 

4 comments:

  1. I also love the theater...don't get to enjoy it near enough.
    This sounds like a really entertaining evening.(Loved the movie very much!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. During my second marriage we would go to The Goodman theater in Chicago sometime between Thanksgiving and New Years every year and see their annual production of The Christmas Carol. In fact there was a year or two that we had season tickets for the Goodman. I enjoyed those performances. At that time there was an Italian Village restaurant within walking distance that was wonderful.

    http://www.goodmantheatre.org/

    http://www.italianvillage-chicago.com/

    But my theater going has been limited since then. I did see Les Miserables on a field trip to one of the Michigan State Colleges when my daughter was in high school besides the two shows mentioned in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love visiting Chicago and going to the theatre...NYC also!
    It's certainly a treat !

    ReplyDelete
  4. The theater is just so expensive and there is not that much wiggle room in my budget. The lower cost is what makes the little community theaters so nice. They do a fine job even if they are not considered professional and it makes for a very nice evening reasonably priced.

    ReplyDelete