Thursday, June 30, 2011

Book For The Week - 7/1/11



AT HOME by Bill Bryson


     I finished listening to Bill Bryson's At Home on my way to work yesterday.   It was great fun but I would recommend reading it rather than listening to it as in order to really enjoy it  a person needs to be able to back up and re read a paragraph or even turn back to a prior chapter.  In the book Bryson walks you from room to room and explains the history of normal every day items.  I had thought I would choose a favorite topic to tell you about but there were too many favorites.  From the life of Mr Mason who invented the canning jar to the people that went into the jungles of South America and the forests of North America for excursions that lasted years to gather plant samples,  I found my self fascinated with every word.  The only chapter that I really felt a bit squeamish during was the one that covered pests,  starting with rats and going all the way down to germs,  covering bed bugs and all sorts of things in between.   And I even found the part of that chapter on bats interesting.   Follow the link to learn more and enjoy the video which is a portion of the audio book. 

10 comments:

  1. I loved this book! Who knew there was such an interesting history behind such mundane items in life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't it fun SPQ! I really could not pick a favorite subject from it to blog about. Did you have a section you liked best? I enjoyed all the medical history, the history related to food, the history related to clothing, and bathing and interior decorating, not to mention the part about children and poverty, and and and - I could go on and on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like fun! We do take so much for granted, but I've always liked to dig into the origins of things. Kinda goes with archeology and anthropology, aye?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes it was fun Sig and I think it would fit with either of those. It also covers some economics, psychology, and a host of other ologies too!! Betcha you would enjoy the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup. I studied the two I mentioned and did a little work in both. But I've been lazy as a lizard lately~~

    Where did rubber bands come from?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know I don't remember that part of the book or if it was covered. But I did a quick search and it seems a Mr Perry was the first to patent the rubber band.

    http://www.versteegde.nl/Bambustic/RubberBands/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary! my books arrived from Amazon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad Suz! You enjoy your "long weekend" of summer reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One thing leads to another, aye? Hey, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YW. And let me know if you enjoy the book!

    ReplyDelete