Sunday, August 21, 2011

Book For The Week - 8/22/11


Murder on Nob Hill


by


Shirley Tallman



This pm I just finished listening to  Murder On Nob Hill by Shirley Tallman.  While I would definitely put this book in the "chick lit"  category,  I did enjoy it as a fluff book to sandwich in between more serious books.  Mystery is not my favorite genre but once in a while I do find a series that is great to pick up one of the novels when I need an escape book.   Much on the same level as Victoria Thompson's Sarah Brant,  Elizabeth Peter's Amelia Peabody,  Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plume,  and Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone -  Shirley Tallman's Sarah Woolson is a gutsy female that makes a series hold one's attention.  Murder On Nob Hill  is the first in this series and it is delightful.  The story is set in the late 1800s in San Francisco and Sarah Woolson is working her way into the male dominated field of law.  She takes on cases where she defends women who would other wise be swept under the carpet and ignored by the male attorneys who dominate the career of law.  In this first novel she is working to clear a woman who is accused of murdering her husband and in the process becomes in danger herself.  Learn more about this book,  the other titles in this series and the author by clicking on the author's name and the title of the book.    A big thank you to Heidi for telling me about this book series!

5 comments:

  1. I need to get a couple audio books to listen to in the car... I have ordered The Help but it hasn't come yet. What do you recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of books do you like? I really enjoyed "The Help". I also liked "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" by Mary Anne Shaffer and Anne Borrows. If you like mysteries there are several series noted in my post above. The authors I mentioned once again are Victoria Thompson (Gas Light Series), Elizabeth Peters (Amelia Peabody series), Janet Evanovich (Stephanie Plume series), Sue Grafton (The alphabet series), and Shirley Tallman (Sarah Woolson series). A couple of other good mystery authors are Donna Leon and Tess Gerritson. I am not real big on romance but some good authors are Cecilia Ahern, Jodi Picoult and of course Nicholas Sparks. Let me know if there is a different genre you enjoy more rather than mystery or romance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not into romance stuff. I like a mystery sometimes... I also enjoy historical novels and I can't wait for the 6 Seals to be out in audio. I like to learn while I listen... never been just a casual reader.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Then you will love The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. It is a wonderful book. And you will love The Help. I would also suggest At Home by Bill Bryson but although I listened to it on audio if I had it to do over I would read it the old fashioned way. There is so much really neat info in it I would be turning back into past pages if I had read it rechecking items. I really liked The Red Tent by Anita Diamant but a lot of older women in my library book group did not so I hesitate to recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. May I asked where you are going in your car? Is it a trip? I used to like to read to my kids a novel that fit in to where we were going on vacation when they were small. And still now I like to read a historical book about where I am going on vacation.

    ReplyDelete