Sunday, March 24, 2013

Book Of The Week 3/24/13: Team Of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin



by 


    Since the beginning of 2013, I have been listening to Team Of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin and am sad to have come to end of the book.   It will definitely be on my top ten list for 2013 if  not in the number one spot.    I wanted to either read of listen to this book for two reasons,  one being it was recommended to me by a friend,  and the other reason being it is the book that the recent popular movie "Lincoln"  was based,  although there is volumes more information in the book than what the movie came close to touching on.  I started saving credits at Audible last fall because the book originally cost three months worth of credits, but in December they bumped it down to one credit so I grabbed it.  As soon as I finished the book I was in the middle of at the time I downloaded it,  I began to listen to Team of Rivals.   If you click on the book title above  you will follow a link to a NPR interview with the author that explains how the book biographically covers each of the members of Lincolns cabinet along with Lincoln himself while weaving these peoples lives through the current events of the time period in which they lived.   One becomes acquainted  with the various cabinet members entire families as wives and daughters are supportive of their struggles.   I was especially fascinated by Kate Chase and not only the role she played in her father's career but also her eventual demise.  Indeed,  after hours and hours of listening and becoming knowledgeable of all the cabinet members and their families,  the last thirty minutes of the book explained the events surrounding each of the individuals deaths.   Be sure and click on the author's name above  to follow the link to learn more about Doris Kearns Goodwin and enjoy the video that follows.  






2 comments:

  1. One of my favorites of all time. Glad you got to experience it. I read more about American history in that book than at school. Doris Kerns Goodwin first started developing her story telling skills when as a child, she would record baseball box scores for her Dad while he was at work and then telling him her "color analysts" story of the game when he got home. Little did she know that he was listening at work. But the sweetness of the gift he gave her is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that this is a great book. And I hope to read more by this author. Cool story about how she developed her story telling skills. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete