Sunday, July 6, 2014

Winter Of The World by Ken Follett



by

Ken Follett never disappoints!  I finished listening to the second book in his Century Trilogy, The Winter Of The World,  this afternoon on audio as I worked on a sewing project.  I had listened to the first one in the series,  Fall Of Giants,  last November and waited a bit before tackling the second one because the third one is not due out till September.   I will now anxiously await its release!  While the first book covered WWI,  the second book covers WWII.  The characters are of the same five families that started the series in the last novel.   One of the things I learned from this book was that Hitler had quite a bit of world wide support in the beginning.  In fact Texaco supplied oil to support the spread of fascism to Spain and there was a large group of "brown shirt" youth demonstrations in Great Britain.  Henry Ford also supported Hitler's ideals.  The author makes the differences in Communism,  Fascism, Capitalism,  and Social Democrats/Labor Party clear.   While I felt Ken Follett was not showing any preferences in Fall of Giants I think his personal politics come through a bit more in Winter Of The World.   This is a wonderful series.  It is definitely adult level and adult content but I highly recommend it as a must read for all adults.  Please click on the five links provided above   and enjoy the videos that follow.





No comments:

Post a Comment