Saturday, June 6, 2015

The Farmer's Wife Magazine 1906 - 1939









"A wise man once said that a farmer has two particularly important decisions to make if he wants to succeed in his life as a farmer. The first decision must be made when he chooses the land which he proposes to farm. The second decision, even more important, comes when he chooses a wife. ~ The Farmer's Wife April 1927 ('Do You Know A Master Farm Homemaker?')"



     Every once in a while I fall into a whole new world.  Those of you who know me are aware that one of my passions is family history.  While I am not an educated and professional genealogist,  I do enjoy spending lots of time doing genealogy.  I compare the time I spend on my hobby to working a very large jig saw puzzle.  Most of the time I am sitting quietly trying to fit in pieces of a puzzle.  But occasionally I find something that just makes me wiggle.  This past week provided such an event.  And it wasn't even in a direct line to back to my ancestors.  I should explain.  Most genealogist chase paternal lines.  It is just easier.  There are land records and wills and all sorts of avenues to find men in history.  But I never seem to follow the easy path.  My interests lie in women's history.  Women didn't used to own property or have many rights that qualified them as being persons.  Often the men's livestock were better counted and recorded than his wives and daughters were.   It can be very frustrating but sometimes I work with someone on a line.  The internet is a good resource to meet people working on a same line and working together is always more fun. The emails whirl back and forth and links and files are shared and it makes for a lot of enjoyment.  The pieces to the puzzle increase in number and some areas are filled in of the entire picture.  To get to the point, since last August I have been chasing the mother of a woman in my ancestry named Elizabeth Sheafor.  Elizabeth had a brother named Jacob.  One of Jacob's descendants is named Rebecca and Rebecca and I have been working together for a couple of months now via email.   Well Jacob had several children and Rebecca is down from one son but another one of Jacob's son's migrated to Wisconsin.  His name was Squire Sheafor.  And one of Squire's grandson's married a woman named Cora.  To my delight the periodical Farmer's Wife magazine featured her in the February 1930 edition!  It can be found on page ten HERE.  To have a female even remotely connected to me recorded to that degree was wonderful news.  As it turns out the Farmer's Wife magazine was quite a popular thing back in the early 1900s.  There are about eight cookbooks that grew out of its publication and can be found HERE.  One of my passions is historical cookbooks and I will have to see if I can find space to add a few more!   And there is a quilt which can be found HERE.  I am not sure I will ever attempt a quilt but find them interesting.  Please click on the links through out this blog to find our more information about this fascinating publication and enjoy the video that follows.









No comments:

Post a Comment