Sunday, August 21, 2016

How Many Mary LNUs Do You Have Challenge




The above article mentions John Jacobs and Sarah Armstrong who are  my direct ancestors.   Sarah would be the sister in law of my Mary Unknown #2.  


Every once in a while I do something stupider than usual.  Generally I am okay with laughing at myself and moving on which is a good thing.   When I make a silly mistake on the world wide web I feel like I did so in front of a larger audience.  Last pm,  before my husband and I went out for dinner and the comedy club show, I commented on a blog about a Mary Lnu that I had an Elizabeth Lnu in my data base.  Afterwards I learned that LNU is not a surname.  LNU is an abbreviation for "last name unknown".   In my defense,  some people capitalize all the letters of a surname in their data base.  But actually,  to make things worse,  I think I heard that LNU is last name unknown before but had forgotten.  At any rate,  I survived my faux pas and enjoyed my evening and today am joining in on the challenge about Mary LNUs in my tree.  The challenge,  along with the links of others that joined in on it, can be found HERE.

In my working data base I currently have 7112 individuals.   There are 87 listings that say Unknown and some of these don't even have a first name.  If I add in Elizabeth Lnu that would make it 88.  (Oh my,  it is always good to learn new things.)  When I narrow the search to Mary Unknown there are 9 Marys that I do not have a last name for.

1) Mary Unknown who married Henry Witmer.  No dates.  Their son, John W Witmer,  married Margaret Lyle in 1854 in Lancaster County PA.  Not a big priority to follow this line.  She is not in a direct line.  She is in my children's fathers family lines but not direct.

2)Mary Unknown who married William Armstrong.  No dates.  Their son, "Major Armstrong"  was born in 1766,  Cumberland Co PA.  I would love to know more about this Armstrong family but she would not be in a direct line back either.   But she is in a family that would be in my lines.

3) Mary Unknown who married Willougby Dexter.  No dates for her but he was born 1767.  She is not a direct line of mine.  This woman would be in a family that would be connected to my husbands side.

4) Mary Unknown who married John Duffield.  She was born in 1590 in England.  She is not a direct line.  This woman would be in my children's father's side of the tree.

5) Mary Unknown who married Morris Bailey.  She was born in 1889 in Mississippi.  She is not in my direct line.  This woman would be in a family that is related to my husbands side of the tree.

6) Mary B Unknown who married Arthur Fremont Morris.  She was born 1868 in Ohio.  She is not in my direct line but in a family that is in my side of the tree.

7) Mary F Unknown who married Hiram Clay Tipton.  She was born in 1847.  She is not in my direct line but is in a line that married into my side of the tree.

8) Mary J Unknown who married George Washington Reed.  I don't have dates for her but George was born in 1824 in Virginia.   She married a man who was an uncle in my side of the tree but not a direct line.

9) Mary P Unknown who married Leon Frederick Foss.   She was born in 1894 in Massachusetts.  She is not in my side of the tree.  She married into my husbands line.  Her husband's mother's maiden name was Dexter.

Therefore none of these Unknown Marys are in a direct line back from me.  Numbers 2, 6, 7 and 8 are Marys I hope to learn more about sometime.

2) No exact matches found on the Family Search Tree.

6) No exact matches found on the Family Search Tree.

7) No exact matches found on the Family Search Tree.

8)  I found three hits in the Family Search Tree but none were in Indiana where my Reed family was at the time this couple lived.    So I don't think I will take time to follow up on them.

If anyone has info on my Armstrong family please chime in!!





No comments:

Post a Comment