Saturday, August 27, 2016

The Mists Of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley



by




A friend recommended that I read The Mists Of Avalon and since I read The Once and Future King back in high school and loved  it,  I thought it was a good idea.  I don't remember much about The Once and Future King and perhaps I should re-read it to compare the two works but I can say my friend did not steer me wrong.  I listened to "The Mists" on audio and it was 50 hours long.  The narrater was Davina Porter which made it a special treat for me because she narrated all of the Outlander books and that series is a favorite of mine.  I listen to audio books on my commute to and from work and on any drives of distance that I happen to take and it took me two months to get through the six downloads that "The Mists"  is divided into from audible.com.   These books transport you to another world and when I finished listening this evening I felt like the land of Avalon had truly melted into the mists from me.   The novel is about King Arthur and the knights of the round table only it is told from the point of view of the women around King Arthur's world.  The story starts with the love story of his parents and soon moves on to the life story of his sister.  The main theme is religious tolerance  - or lack there of - and the inclusion of women - or lack there of - in religion.   The politics of religion in the dark ages is displayed with the rise of Christianity in Europe at the expense of other belief systems being a large part of the drama that unfolds.   Click on the links above and enjoy  the video that follows of the movie trailer for the movie that was made from the books.   This book was a really enjoyable experience for me and I recommend it.


No comments:

Post a Comment