Wednesday, September 14, 2016

River Of Doubt by Candice Millard



by



Flying back to the midwest from San Diego on Sunday,  I completed listening to The River Of Doubt by Candice Millard on my iPod.  This is an excellent book and I highly recommend it.  Although non fiction it is an action packed story.   It is the story of Theodore Roosevelt's Amazon exploration expedition that he completed after his presidency.  I was especially impressed with the Brazilian military leader Rondon that accompanied the group.  More about him can be found HERE.    Another member of the party was George Cherrie and he too was very interesting.  More can be found about him HERE.   I have fond memories of back in the 1980s when I did quite a bit of canoeing on various American Scenic Riverways and at one time I thought a trip down the Amazon River would be the ultimate journey.  Since listening to this book I am glad I never realized that aspiration.   The graphic descriptions of the rainforest and the river's dangers are very frightening.   This is a book that all history buffs will enjoy.  Please click on the title and the authors name to follow the links to more information and enjoy the video that follows.








No comments:

Post a Comment