Saturday, November 18, 2017

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling






by




   I finished the seventh and last book in the Harry Potter series at 5:30 this morning.  I stayed up all night finishing it.  I did not want to stop and once I was finished with the book I was disappointed that  I had completed the series.  I do not want to be finished with them.  But I  plan on watching all the movies so will continue to enjoy the world of Harry Potter for awhile yet.  And there is a web site that is called Pottermore that if you click on the book title above you will go to a web page, which is the part of the Pottermore site, which is about Hogwarts School, which is the boarding school Harry Potter and his friends attended during the series.   Also,  at the end of this blog is a video about a castle in UK that is a resort based on the series.  Kids can go there for three days and have a mystery weekend in the recreated Hogwarts school.   There is also a Harry Potter exhibit at Universal Studios in Florida and another one in Hollywood.  It is my understanding there is also a site to visit in London.  I am sure there are other Harry Potter activities to participate in.  My kids were born a little too soon to be in the Harry Potter craze but this year at our Mother's Day brunch my grandson recommended the Harry Potter series to me and I have enjoyed every book in the series.  It took me six months to get through the series because,  using the digital library service,  the books are so popular I had to be on a waiting list for each book.  I realize there has been some criticism of the series because of they are fantasy books about witches and wizards.  Besides being great fun, the books stress good values of honesty and loyalty.  They emphasize making good choices for good and being against evil.  There are evil things in the world and it is good for children to feel empowered to take a stand against them.  The books teach cooperation with others.  I am pleased a generation is growing up with these values being presented in an entertaining way.   These are books that I would have read to my kids if they were out when they were in grade school.  We would have discussed the content as we finished reading a chapter or two each night.  J.K. Rowling has given the world a treasure with this book series and I am honored that my grandson shared this treasure with me. 




No comments:

Post a Comment