Saturday, February 3, 2018

Using A Digital Planner



    One of the things I added to my life in 2018 is a digital planner.  I always keep a calendar and since using a smartphone that calendar is on my phone.  And I had provided a planner much like the one pictured above to my children when they were in school.  But I had never used any planner myself and certainly never a digital one.  It was suggested in a podcast I listened to about goal setting.  I decided to see if it helped me get organized.  I googled "digital planner"  and several came up.  The second one I tried was the one I settled on.  It is called ToDoIst and the link to it is HERE.   I really like using it.  Since I have more than one project going on at once and things to do with each project I can break down the steps needed to do complete each one and assign dates to complete these steps.  For example, I have three writing projects ongoing.  One is my year-long workshop at The Family History Writing Studio,  another is my WWI Centennial Project for the county I grew up in,  and the third one is my local library writing group.   In addition to these writing projects,  my daughter and I are going on an Amtrak vacation in March to The Grand Canyon and I have tasks to do to prepare for it.   As a result,  there are constantly things to add to my planner with goal dates to accomplish them.   It has really helped me to accomplish what I need to do in a timely fashion.  One word of caution though - when something comes up and I can't complete a task by the target date it is a stressor for me.  The date can be changed to a later one so it should not be so,  but I do feel that pressure.  I would recommend Todoist to others.  In the past,  with a large project, I had used pen and paper and a timeline.  I have always been a list maker.   But using a digital tool takes these organizers to a whole new level.  I use the free level of Todoist.  I have not purchased the premium level.  I may in the future but so far am happy with the free version.


No comments:

Post a Comment