Monday, March 12, 2018

No Ordinary Time by Doris Kearns Goodwin




by




Our local library recently added a service called Hoopla.   For my first audio selection, in order to try it out,  I selected a book by Doris Kearns Goodwin, who I have admired for several years and now is one of my go to authors for non-fiction.  I had enjoyed her Team of Rivals a few years back and wanted to enjoy another one of her books.  Since Elenor Roosevelt is a favorite person of history for me and I also admire FDR,  I decided to listen to No Ordinary Time - Franklin & Elenor Roosevelt: The Home Front In World War II.  She did not disappoint me.   The first couple's lives and world impact during WWII is explained clearly  and in an interesting way through out this book. Ms Goodwin points out their many strong points but she also points out their short comings.  Because of listening to this book I have a much more realistic view of the Roosevelts.   I have had aspirations to visit all of FDR's homes for quite some time and now those trips are very much on my bucket list.  Please click on the book title and the author's name above to follow links to more information. And please take the time to read this book.  It will be clear to whomever takes the time to enjoy the book why the author won a Pulitzer Prize for it.   In the video that follows Doris Kearns Goodwin tells a short story about FDR.   As far as the Hoopla service goes,  the phone app locked up so I finished listening to it on my iPad.  







No comments:

Post a Comment