Friday, April 6, 2018

Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry




by




The second book of The Giver Quartet is Gathering Blue.  I reviewed the first book HERE.   This second book does not seem related to the first book until you get to the third book which I am currently listening to.  The Giver was recommended to me by a patient's mother and I really enjoyed the book.  It is also a movie but I liked the book better.  Gathering Blue I liked even more than The Giver.  It is about a young girl who becomes an orphan but she has a special gift of creating beautiful embroidery pieces.  She is handicapped too and the primitive future community she lives in does not usually allow handicapped people to live.  But her gifts and talents cause the elders of the community to take her in.  They do not have blue thread but as she learns to dye thread from a wise woman she learns that there is a plant that can be used for blue dye.  It is in a place "over yonder".  I will leave the details of how she obtains the plant for the blue hues of dye to those that read the book.  This quartet of books will make my top ten list in 2018.  They are excellent.  Although considered children's literature, I think the need for abstract thinking to glean the meaning from the books places them in a category for both young adults and adults.  Children may not be able to grasp the nuances of meaning.  Please click on the author's name and book title above to follow the links to more information and enjoy the author in the video that follows.  






No comments:

Post a Comment