Friday, November 2, 2018

Amity and Prosperity by Eliza Griswold




by




     The State Library Of Ohio offered this as a digital book after I,  and many others I am sure,  recommended it.  Since I recommended it, I got to be the first to check it out on my kindle app.  Last pm as I finished it up I caught my breath when I read the author's closing words:  "This is the story of those Americans who've wrestled with the price their communities have long paid so the rest of us can plug in our phones.  Some feel the price was worth paying; others don't."   Eliza Griswold does an excellent job of telling both sides of the story in her book Amity and Prosperity.  It is a non fiction book about a community that opens its farm fields to fracking in South West Pennsylvania.  The community has many people that are in favor of the process and a few that have really bad experiences as a result of it.  The book also gives a fair report of how the industry  learned and made changes to improve the mistakes it made early on.  Unfortunately the mistakes had repercussions for people.  I was very impressed with the lawyers who took on Stacey's case in this story.  She is a single mom who is a  nurse and was hesitant to take matters public about how the fracking affected her family.  And once she did many people were not friendly with her any longer in the small town that stood to make a lot of money from the fracking.  But John and Kendra Smith took on Stacey's case and really went to bat for her and the handful of people who also wanted to make the extraction companies accountable.  I was very disappointed in the way the state and federal environmental agencies catered to the the energy companies at the expense of the peoples safety.  This book makes clear how complicated the issue is.  There are many things to consider with the fracking issue and no easy answers.  Please read this book.  Feel free to click on the author's name and book title above to learn more information about the book.   And listen to the author in the short video that follows.  




No comments:

Post a Comment