Friday, October 26, 2018

American Gods by Neil Gaiman




by



  I selected this audio book to listen to because the book,  the audio performance, and the television mini series were all highly acclaimed.  The author won awards for this book.  I must admit that it is totally out of my genre but I have liked some fantasy books in the past so I thought I would give it a try.  It is a long book, lasting almost 20 hours of narration.   The book performance has a full cast of readers.  At first I became frustrated because I was trying to figure out the metaphors and symbolism as I went.  Then I decided to just to enjoy the story and worry about meaning after finishing it.  It was hard for me to follow the plot.  In fact it pretty much went over my head.  I kept thinking "I hope there is a point to all this by the end" as I listened.  To be fair the author did make some valid points in the last quarter of the book.  I don't want to write a spoiler and give my interpretation of what the author was trying to say.  I might be wrong anyway.  So read it, listen to it or watch it yourself and make your own decisions.  In the preface the author wrote that readers either love the book or hate it.  I can't say I loved it but I really didn't hate it.  I was glad to get to the end and it won't make my top ten favorite titles for this year but October was a good month to listen to this book.   Please follow the links to more information by clicking on the author's name and the book title above.  And enjoy both videos that follow.  











No comments:

Post a Comment