Wednesday, November 6, 2019

A Gentleman In Moscow by Amor Towles




by



     The November selection for my local library book group is A Gentleman In Moscow by Amor Towles.  I chose to listen to this book on audio and finished it up last night.  It is the fiction story of a Russian aristocrat, who after the Russian revolution, is sentenced to spend his life under house arrest at a fancy hotel.  While the story revolves around relationships within that hotel, the history of Russia under Stalin is unfolding out on the streets at the same time.   This book spans thirty years of a man's life.  There are a lot of things to ponder as comparisons are made between the United States and Russia during the mid 1900s.  The book says a great deal about relationships too.  And the main thrust of much of the book is that we are masters of our circumstances and it is our perspective not our situation that mandates our satisfaction.  The book is a beautiful and well written novel with a delightful surprise twist at the end.  Unfortunately I had a hard time with the amount of detail the author provides.  I feel like I should shoulder the blame that I could not remain focused but my mind wandered when the details became very profuse, which was quite a lot of the time.  Hopefully I zoned back in time to catch the story line. I must have because I feel I understand the book.   I did have to google who the mystery lady in the last paragraph was.  This book is not one I would recommend to everyone.  But I do have friends who I think would really enjoy this book.  Please click on the book title and author's name above to follow the links to more information and enjoy the video that follows.  






No comments:

Post a Comment