Sunday, March 15, 2009

Book Tuesday -03/17/09




by




Publisher Comments:

This triumphant and genuinely revolutionary book began as an exceptional woman's attempt to find out who and what she was. It ended up shocking, infuriating, and galvanizing millions of readers and dramatically revising the way women talk and think about themselves. Drawing on extensive interviews with women of every age and station of life, masterfully synthesizing research about women's bodies and psyches as well as their historic and economic roles, The Second Sex is an encyclopedic and brilliantly argued document of inequality and enforced "otherness." Forty years later, it retains all of its vitality and passion, while confirming Simone de Beauvoir's stature as one of the most significant thinkers of the twentieth century.

(A favorite of mine.  So much so that I named my pet bird after the author.  It has been years since I have read it though so I am overdue for a re read.  Click on the title to find a site to purchase and on the author's name  to read more about her) 

2 comments:

  1. I have this book -we all should have this on our shelves-

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this since the Feminist Revolution of Betty Friedan........thanks for reminding me of something valuable to read again. I am assuming that all have read the Freidan book...The Feminine Mystique. If not, do read it. Not profound as de Beauvier's book but important in that it was the beginning of the women's movement.

    ReplyDelete