Monday, March 23, 2009

Poetry Wednesday 03/18/09




Call
by Alla Renee Bozarth


There is a new sound

of roaring voices in the deep

and light-shattered rushes in the
heavens.

The mountains are coming alive,

the fire-kindled mountains

moving again to reshape the earth.

It is we sleeping women

waking up in a darkened world,

cutting the chains from off our bodies

with our teeth,

stretching our lives over the slow

earth,

seeing , moving , breathing in the

vigor

that commands us to make all things

new.


It has been said that while the women

sleep

the earth shall sleep.

But listen! we are waking up and

rising,

and soon our sister will know her 

strength.

The earth-moving day is here.

We women wake to move in fire.

The earth shall be remade.

(I found this little gem in the anthology "at our core: women writing about power" by Sandra Haldeman Martz. Click on the poet's name to read more about her.)


10 comments:

  1. Nicely done. This is one of those read a thousand times poems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel a sense of renewal of spring when I read this. Very beautiful. Love, Laurita.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this! I was going to pick out my favorite line but it kept changing on me LOL. The one that caught my attention though was:

    cutting the chains from off our bodies
    with our teeth,

    How many times, as woman, have we DONE this very thing? Ahhh!!!! SUCH power!

    http://bostonsdandd.multiply.com/journal/item/266

    ReplyDelete
  4. These words reek enpowerment. I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely said. Very empowering. Jay

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes indeed...we are indeed vital to so much in this world of ours.
    If we look at history it is apparent that our time is here! Wonderfully empowering!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every time I read this, I feel something different. I so agree with sassy, this it one of those read a thousand times poems. Thank you for sharing it.
    http://dianahopeless.multiply.com/journal/item/564/Poetry_As_Time_Goes_By_my_poem

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow...............a poem to celebrate the true power of women.

    ReplyDelete