Thursday, May 13, 2010

Book For This Week - 5/13/2010

The Last Camel Died At

Noon


by


Elizabeth Peters


From Publishers Weekly

If Indiana Jones were female, a wife and mother who lived in Victorian times, he would be Amelia Peabody Emerson, an archeologist whose extraordinary adventures are guaranteed entertainment. This time Amelia, her handsome, fearless husband, Radcliffe, and their precocious 11-year-old son, Ramses, are in the Sudan, searching for archeologist Willoughby Forth, who disappeared 14 years earlier with his new wife. Rescued in the desert after every camel in their caravan dies, the Emersons are taken to a lost city where ancient Egyptian customs have been carried into modern times. There, entangled in two half-brothers' battle for the throne, Amelia and family fight for the freedom of the slave class while ferreting out the fate of Forth and his bride, and arranging to escape with their lives. Peters ( The Deeds of the Disturber ), who also writes as Barbara Michaels, laces her usual intricate plotting with Amelia's commonsense approach to hygiene and manners, and coyly delicate references to vigorously enjoyed connubial pleasures. Combining a fierce affection for her family with indefatigable independence, stalwart Amelia proves once again an immensely likable heroine.

(I finished listening to this on audio last night on my way home from work.  I was introduced to the Amelia Peabody series by a MP friend and this audio book was a gift from another MP friend.   I am grateful to both for so many hours of enjoyment.   I have listened to a few of the Amelia Peabody books - The Serpent on the Crown,  The Mummy Case,  and Crocodile on the Sandbank- and while I enjoyed them all I have to say that The Last Camel Died at Noon is,  so far my favorite.  Click on the author's name to learn more.)

12 comments:

  1. WOW is all I can say. I am gonna look up this one and see if I can get these books. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do Stephen. It is a fun series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found them all on my e-music audio books site. I am going to download them after I finish with my Madeline L'Engles audio books. Or I might just buy a booster pack next time I download and get as many as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What audio book site do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got e-music.com or if I can't get it from there I do it at Barnes and Noble's website. Barnes and Noble uses a media player that lets you hold your place in the book which is nice. E- Music limits you downloading to whatever you can pay for a month. They are generally cheaper than B&N which is nice, but then you don't get the latest titles. The E-Music site is about $20 a month for one book credit which general equates to one audio book. Some newer titles have two credits which you can buy extra credits if you want. That's just the basic subscription level and you have options to go to higher levels if you want. If you want I can send you a link to get 50 free songs and I get 50 free ones too if you are a member more than one month. Just have to have an e-mail address.... (Shameless I know, but 50 free songs is not bad.) Let me know by PM... I love this site. and I can't wait to get my songs every month. Some of the stuff is cheapie rack obscure, but I tend to like the stuff there... I have a whole collection of Dave Brubeck, Louden Wainwright, and such that I have gotten from this site.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I might mention they have 23 titles by this author on their audio books site...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I goofed.. It is actually $9.99 for one book credit, and $20.00 a month for two credits. There is also an annual subscription you can pay for as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm always looking for good, new reads..thanks for the introduction to this author and book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. have all hers am on the list when her new one comes out in Nov.
    She is so good--:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stephen I have quite a few audio books for now but will check it out when I run low. I have to use places that use MAC.

    ReplyDelete
  11. SPQ you will love these books I just know.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heidi - thank you for introducing me to the Amelia Peabody series. I enjoy the books very much!

    ReplyDelete