Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Book For This Week - 7/21/10

The Last Song

by

Nicholas Sparks

From the author's web site:
"Seventeen year-old Veronica “Ronnie” Miller’s life was turned upside-down when her parents divorced and her father moved from New York City to Wilmington, North Carolina. Three years later, she remains angry and alienated from her parents, especially her father… until her mother decides it would be in everyone’s best interest if she spent the summer in Wilmington with him. Ronnie’s father, a former concert pianist and teacher, is living a quiet life in the beach town, immersed in creating a work of art that will become the centerpiece of a local church. The tale that unfolds is an unforgettable story about love in its myriad forms – first love, the love between parents and children – that demonstrates, as only a Nicholas Sparks novel can, the many ways that deeply felt relationships can break our hearts… and heal them."

(I finished listening to this on audio on my way to work on Monday.  The book starts out like  a jr high type story and I did not start to enjoy it till about two thirds of the way through it.   The story gets good though and although it has a happy ending,  the time frame just prior to that happy ending is a two hankie event.   All in all I enjoyed the book once I got into it and would recommend it as a good summer read.   As always, click on the title and the author's name to learn more. )

9 comments:

  1. I believe a happy ending is a requirement for a great story..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It almost souds like it borrowed the beginning from "The Black Hills." Very similar, don't you think?

    As usual, I have two going at once. I found a new source for Audio Books to download and it allows a two week check out period.

    I bought a whole bunch of Re-writable CD's that I use. The book that goes with me goes on there and the other one stays on my computer.

    Sometimes the one on the CD's is shorter, so I finish it sooner. I then erase the CD's and re-record them with the unheard portions off the computer. Then I download a new one for the computer. Keeps me busy.

    Before I stated this I was gong through a lot of CD's and knew that I probably would never listen to them again, so it was wasted money.

    I have a big back log of Dean Koontz books waiting for me to download. I try to switch between him and Nora Roberts. The cool thing about these sources is the recommendations that come with the book. They say, "If you liked this book, try listening to some of these." and it gives several options.
    I've discovered some really good authors that way that I had never heard of before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg... I just finished this book!!!!! I agree with your review totally, Mary!

    I'm going to pick up "Eat, Pray, Love" next...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree, but so is the two hankie part before the joy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I listened to Eat Pray and Love a couple years ago. It is not a book to miss. I did not care for the ending but that is just me. After making all that progress I felt she messed up again at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is your source? My local library has one for me but it requires a version of Windows Media Player that does not flip for MAC. The part that erases it after the two week check out period for copywrite protection doesn't seem to convert to my MAC. Or at least my expert in computers son in law couldn't find a flip for MAC version for me. Maybe there is a pay one and we were only looking for free ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forgot to mention in my review that one of the things I really liked about The Last Song was the part of it that dealt with the sea turtles. But as any of you that know me might remember, turtles have a special place in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. SweetSkeez!
    Casey reads ALL of Sparks' books, and loves each one more than the next.
    As I type she is relating the cages and the digging of trenches to the ocean as they hatch.
    How cool that you love them so!

    XOXO
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is actually the blandings turtle that is my animal totem, but I really like sea turtles too.

    ReplyDelete