Thursday, October 20, 2011

Book For The Week - 10/20/2011



Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen

http://saragruen.com/water-for-elephants/about/

http://saragruen.com/bio/

Library Journal

When his parents are killed in a traffic accident, Jacob Jankowski hops a train after walking out on his final exams at Cornell, where he had hoped to earn a veterinary degree. The train turns out to be a circus train, and since it's the Depression, when someone with a vet's skills can attach himself to a circus if he's lucky, Jacob soon finds himself involved with the animal acts-specifically with the beautiful young Marlena, the horse rider, and her husband, August. Jacob falls for Marlena immediately, and the ensuing triangle is at the center of this novel, which follows the circus across the states. Jacob learns the ins and outs of circus life, in this case under the rule of the treacherous Uncle Al, who cheats the workers and deals roughly with patrons who complain about blatant false advertising and rip-off exhibits. Jacob and Marlena are attracted to each other, but their relationship is fairly innocent until it becomes clear that August is not merely jealous but dangerously mentally deranged. Old-fashioned and endearing, this is an enjoyable, fast-paced story told by the older Jacob, now in his nineties in a nursing home. From the author of Riding Lessons; recommended for all libraries.-Jim Coan, SUNY Coll. at Oneonta Copyright 2006 Reed Business Information.

I finished listening to this on audio last pm as I worked on  a sewing project after work.  This is a book that the first few chapters I was afraid was going to be too sad to enjoy.  I had heard so much good about it and was surprised when it started out as such as downer.   But by chapter 4 or so I was sucked into the story and really enjoyed it.  It flips back and forth  between present day with a man in a nursing home and back during the depression when he ran off to join the circus.  Audio books with  more than one voice are always cool.   It is a great love story and I want to see the movie.  The animals in it are delightful  -  especially Rosie the elephant.  And by the way it has a very happy ending!

BTW this is the second book I posted about this week.  I finished one on my kindle earlier in the week.  But instead of posting in the usual format here in blogs,  I posted a video.   In case you missed it http://skeezicks1957.multiply.com/video/item/328/The_Immortal_Life_Of_Henrietta_Lacks

3 comments:

  1. I started this book and abandoned it... too he said she said for me... not my kind of writing...first three chapters didn't hook me..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't sure I was going to like it till the fourth or fifth chapter. But after that I was awfully glad I stuck with it. I want to see the movie too.

    ReplyDelete