Friday, February 17, 2012

Book For The Week - 2/18/12 - Part Three



A Mount Vernon Love Story by Mary Higgins Clark

The third book I finished this week was the one I was reading on my kindle.  It is the selection for March for the library reading group that I attend.  February's selection is "Outlander"  and I have already read that as I mentioned in my prior post.  So I read ahead and completed March's book.  Since it is a short read I finished up Mary Higgins Clark's "A Mount Vernon Love Story" on Tuesday night.  It is the story of the marriage of George and Martha Washington.   I enjoyed the book and was surprised to learn that George was in love with his best friends wife and while he was fond of Martha he was afraid to marry her because if his friend were to die he thought he might be sorry he was unavailable.   I was also surprised to learn that since Martha was a widow and had children that George and her had conflict in their marriage over the decisions that were made regarding the children.  She made it very clear that he was not the one making the decisions about the kids and he was not to discipline them.  George also felt she put the kids before him in her priorities and he resented that.  The book also shows the positive parts of their relationship and how they complimented one another.  It is a very "G rated"  book.   I am glad to have read the book and enjoyed it but I will not rush out and read another of Mary Higgins Clark's books.   Please click on the book title and the author's name at the top of this blog to follow the links to learn more.  And enjoy the following video about Mount Vernon.



No comments:

Post a Comment