Friday, August 31, 2012

Book For The Week: At Home by Bill Bryson


by 


A couple of years ago I reviewed this book because I had listened to it on audio but since that was before I moved my blog and I just recently finished reading the book on my kindle I want to review it again.  This was the book I decided to check out from my library online services for my kindle to see how it worked as I knew if the two weeks ran out before it was over I would not panic since I had heard the entire book prior to but it was a book I wanted to revisit.  The two weeks did run out on me - twice.  So when I needed to choose a library book to add to my kindle for my train ride out to Denver I decided it would be a perfect time to finish it up for the second time.  And so it was.  This is the second Bill Bryson book I have enjoyed.  Several years ago library reading group read his Notes From A Small Island and as a result I am an avid Bill Bryson fan.  I will read more of his work.  Returning to topic, At Home is a book in which he walks from room to room of his house and describes the history of some objects in each room.   I enjoyed the history of spices while in his kitchen,  the stories of the men who braved the South American jungle and the North American forests in the early 1700s gathering new plant species samples and returning them to Europe while walking with him in his garden , the history of pigments in paint while in his bedroom ,  and the human journey of food preservation while in his dining room.   Bryson develops each area into  interesting fact filled pages  that makes me think of his books as a "Where's Waldo"  for adults although there are few pictures.    Please click on the title and author's name above to follow the links to more information and enjoy the video below.





No comments:

Post a Comment