Sunday, September 16, 2012

Book For The Week 9/17/12




by 



This book should be required reading for all of us.  In fact I am amazed that I have made it to age 55 and just now read it.   (Or to be more accurate,  I listened to it on audio.  A Tree Grows In Brooklyn is the book selection for my library book group this month.  Since I am reading another book on my kindle I decided I had better listen to it in order to be sure  I got through it in time for the meeting next week.)    About half way through the book I decided that the reason I never read it as a teen as I was probably not allowed to.   But I mentioned to my younger sister I was reading it and she said "Oh yes.  I remember that book.  I read it back when I was in school."   So I can't blame rules at my home of origin on not having read it sooner.  Still,  this book should be required reading for all of us.  If you have not read it.  Do so.

This book is the coming of age story of a girl named Francie Nolan who lives in Brooklyn New York with her "Momma"  and "Poppa".  Also she has a younger brother.  The family structure changes some over the time period the book covers which is roughly from the time she is eleven till she is almost seventeen.   The family is very poor.   Her grandparents were immigrants and unable to read or write.   Her maternal grandmother is firmly convinced that education is the path out of poverty for the children and encourages her daughters to make sure their children receive an education.   There are several places in the book that bring tears to the eyes and the ending even though a happy ending is a tear jerker.  

Please click on the title of the book and the author's name above to follow the links to more information.  And enjoy the video below.   This book will be  toward the top of my top ten list for books I have read or listened to in 2012.

  



No comments:

Post a Comment