Monday, July 15, 2013

Book Of The Week 7/15/13: True Detective, Nathan Heller by Max Allan Collins


True Detective:
by


This book was recommended to me by my brother and while I enjoyed reading the descriptions of the Chicago neighborhoods in the mid 1930's overall I would pigeon hole this book as a guy book.   I do read mysteries from time to time but they are not my favorite genre because I usually know half way through the book how it will end.  In this story that is not the case.  It had a good strong ending that totally caught me off guard.  The novel is about the gangster era in Chicago around the time of the worlds fair and a private detective who is hired to keep the mayor of Chicago from being assassinated.   He not only fails in this but the assassination is concealed as an attempt to assassinate FDR instead of the mayor of Chicago.  Heller also has a second case of trying to find a missing person.  Most of the book I was confused as to why these two separate cases were in one novel until I got to the shocker ending.   If you are a fan of Dick Tracey type books then I recommend this book to you.  I may read more of this series myself because I want to read the one about the Lindberg kidnapping.  Please click on the title and the author's name above to follow the links to more information.  And enjoy the video that follows.



No comments:

Post a Comment