Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Book For The Week 1/1/2014: The Astonishing Life Of Octavian Nothing by M.T. Anderson


by

Although this book is listed under the Young Adult section, it is far from an easy read.   Reading it on my kindle fire, each page contained more than one word that I had to tap my finger on to have the definition pop up.  It is written in the style of English spoken in the late 1700s in New England to be true to the time period the story takes place in.  The subject matter is also very complicated.  It exposes the American Revolution as being all about freedom for white males only.  And also the question of the ethics of science is raised.  Finally,  the issue of race is painfully evident in the pages of this novel.   Nevertheless,  this book should be required reading for everyone 17 and older.  I can't say I liked the book.   But I am glad to have read it and it is a story that will stay with me for a vary long time.  Please click on the author's name and book title above to follow the links and learn more.  And enjoy the video that follows.





No comments:

Post a Comment