Sunday, January 5, 2014

Book For The Week 1/5/2014: Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls by David Sedaris


by

Barring a weather related cancellation,  this week will be the first library reading group for me since my move to Ohio.  I read their selections the last two months but did not get moved in time to attend their meeting so  I continued to enjoy the library reading group in Columbia City.   In order to get the selection finished for the group down here I felt I rushed the book a bit.  The name of the Wilmington library's  selection for January is Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls by David Sedaris.  It is a collection of humorous essays and no where in the book is the word "diabetes".  I thought maybe I had missed it so I did a search using my kindle app and the word diabetes is not in the book.  There is one chapter that mentions owls extensively.   Most of the essays were about David Sedaris' personal life experiences.  Several chapters involved his growing up years as a youngster in the 1960s and several chapters involved his travels.  I chuckled some through out the book but the chapter on his trip to China made me laugh out loud.   A few of the essays in the book were in different voices with points of view that differ from the author's.  I found the  change of voices confusing because I was well into the chapter before I figured out it was a different person and the gender and age of the voice were not made clear.  David Sedaris is gay and one of the essays is about a man that goes berserk over New York passing a law allowing same sex marriage.   I also laughed over that chapter.  I would recommend this book to anyone who is not too conservative and would like to get lost in some humor for awhile.  It is not my genre but the beauty of library reading groups is being exposed to books you never would have picked on your own.  Please click on the title and author's name above to follow the links to more information and enjoy the video that follows.



1 comment:

  1. Finally made it to reading group down here in W.O. It is an enjoyable group and I had a nice time. A much larger library reading group than the one up in CC was. The members were friendly, open and laid back.

    ReplyDelete