Wednesday, January 14, 2015

The Language Of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh




by



The Columbia City, Indiana public library book club selection for January is The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh.  Although I no longer live there so can't attend their meetings I try to read along with them at least part of the time.  I wasn't sure if I wanted to this month as I was fearful that the selection would be a depressing title and typically it is wise for me to avoid downer type in put in January and February.  But I was pleasantly surprised.  It is not a negative or depressing novel.  I did struggle a bit with a few pages in the part right after the birth of a baby a little past half way through the book but other than that short section I really found the book delightful.  Being familiar with herbs and flowers and tones of scent as I worked with making home made potpourri several years ago,  I was very much aware of the use of Tussie Mussie's as center pieces at wedding receptions and the meanings assigned to flowers in various cultures.  But far from being an old hat subject,  it is a topic that is near and dear to me.  So  one of the main themes of the book I found appealing.  She also handled the foster care theme in a way that was not too negative although the short comings of the system were not ignored.  She discusses something called attachment disorder which I think I had heard of but never thought much about.  There are some  outcomes in the book that I thought were not realistic.  For example,  what are the odds that a homeless woman just out of a life time of foster care is able to launch a successful florist business?  And what are the odds she would run into a man like Grant?  For that matter does a man like that even exist?  But it is the fairy tale quality of these happy outcomes that makes the book even more delightful.  It is even storybook like that the main character's name is Victoria since most of the flower meanings grew out of the Victorian age.  The book also brings forth the power of friendships between women and the magic of the mentoring that takes place informally in that context.  There are several strong women who help Victoria grow and develop.  My favorite person in the book is Elizabeth.  She is the goal all should embrace as an example of what it is to be a mom.   I would encourage everyone to read this book.  It is a great choice for a book group because of the questions it will bring up about parenting and relationships.  Another neat thing about this book is that an organization to help foster kids transition to independence has grown out of it and can be found HERE.   Please click on the title and the author's name to follow links for more information.  Also there are a couple of links you can click on in the text above to find more information.  And don't forget to enjoy the video that follows.



No comments:

Post a Comment