Sunday, March 22, 2015

Saturday Night At The Movies - Philomena

Over a year ago,  when watching the Academy Awards,  I put Philomena on my list of movies that I wanted to watch.  Last pm I got my wish and was it ever worth the wait!  It is the best movie I have seen for awhile.  As with many movies,  it was first a book,  that can be found HERE.  I have put it on my wish list because I think there are usually more details of a story in the book that a movie is based on.  Philomena is a true story of a woman who has a baby out of wedlock when she is a young woman and is forced to give up her child for adoption.  She is Irish and the nuns sell her baby to a wealthy American family.  After 50 years of trying to secretly find him herself she confesses about the child to her daughter who is able to find a journalist that is willing to help Philomena find her son.  Out of the story becoming public a campaign has been started to help those victims of these illegal adoptions.  The website about it can be found HERE.  The implicated homes for unwed mothers or workhouses were actually still operating as recently as the late 1990s.  More information about the movie can be found at its website HERE.  And I did some searching and found Philomena's son and his adoptive parents at Find A Grave HERE.    Please follow the links provide through out this blog for the additional information available and enjoy the videos that follow.





No comments:

Post a Comment