Sunday, March 15, 2015

The Dinner by Herman Koch




by



This book was recommended to me by a friend whom I met at the local library book club over a year ago.  I finally moved it from my wish list onto my iPod a couple of weeks ago and just finished listening to it this morning.   The performance by the reader is wonderful and the book is well written.   The topic is an important one to contemplate.  Nevertheless,  I am very glad to be finished with the book and it will not make my top ten list this year.  In fact I would not recommend it to others to read.  It is an upsetting book.  The novel takes place in a restaurant.  Two brothers and their wives are eating a meal at a very upscale establishment.  They are upper middle class couples and both have teen aged boys.  As the book progresses it is apparent that the boys have gotten into some very bad trouble and the point of the meal is to decide how to handle the situation.  The question in the readers mind is how far should a parent go to protect their kids from their actions and at what point does a young person have to deal with the consequences of their behavior.  While it would probably make a great book for a reading group to discuss the book gave me the creeps.  I am glad to be finished with it.  Click on the title and the author's name above to learn more and enjoy the video that follows.  They must have made a movie of the book in Europe.  



No comments:

Post a Comment