Thursday, December 21, 2017

Silent Spring by Rachel Carson




by


This is a book that I had meant to read for a long time and I finally checked it out from the library on my kindle app.  It is considered a classic.  This non fiction book is credited with starting the environmental  movement.  It addresses the use of chemical sprays that was so prevelent when I was a child.  Much of what she describes I remember.  I remember the dead birds and squirrels in the back yard.  I remember going camping with my family near Lake Erie and when we went to the beach to swim we couldn't because of all the dead fish floating in the water and lining the beach.  I remember their milky eyes.  I wish the people younger than me would all read this book so they would understand how things were.  And I wish the people my age and older would read it so they would remember.  I worry we will go back to some of these problems with the current climate of opinion of so many this country.  The author did end the book on a positive note.  She talked of the successes of biological pest control as an alternative to chemical sprays.  She was not opposed to careful use of chemicals in localized areas.  Her book was about being more thoughtful about the use of chemicals in our environment and not about not using them at all.  If not a reader, or if interested in more information,  PBS did a wonderful documentary about Rachel Carson and it can be viewed HERE.  When I was living in SW Lower Michigan I had the opportunity to tour a lab that was working with using some type of beetle to control another insect on the crops.  I don't think the government has the lab at Niles any more as I could not find it online.  But the USDA-APHIS still exists.  If a  young person is interested in doing this sort of work an opportunity can be learned about HERE.   Please click on the title of the book, the author's name and the links found in the body of this post for more information.  And enjoy the video that follows.



No comments:

Post a Comment