Thursday, December 28, 2017

The Girl Who Drank The Moon by Kelly Barnhill




by




This young adult novel is about a town that is held hostage to a witch who demands that they offer a sacrificial infant to the woods on a regular basis to keep the rest of the town safe.  As the story unfolds it becomes clear the town is mistaken and later in the story the story evolves to reveal that the establishment is the villain not the lady that lives in the woods.  The book has a good theme for thought for young adults to encourage them to think for themselves and not merely go along with the establishment.  But over all it is not a book that will make my top ten list for the year.  I am not sure why I did not get into the book as the story had a basis that promised to be a very good story.  In selecting to read it I really liked the description.  I know that young adult reading can be easier reading than some of the more complicated adult novels.  But this seemed over simplified as far as writing style for even young adults.  I think even a elementary reader would not be challenged by the reading level of this novel.   I believe young adults today are sharper than this but maybe I over estimate.  At any rate Kelly Barnhill has a wonderful basis for a story but she is no J.K. Rowling.  Please click on the book title and author's name above to follow links to more information.  And enjoy the video that follows.  Most important don't let my review discourage you from reading this book.  It isn't a bad book and it won a couple of coveted awards.  It was merely not my favorite type of reading.  

 



No comments:

Post a Comment