Wednesday, January 2, 2019

And The Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini



by



     The January book selection for my local library book group is And The Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini.  This is the second book I have read by this author.  Several years ago I read his book A Thousand Splendid Suns.  Dr Hosseini writes about culture and life in Afghanistan.  Both of the books I have no read by him have helped me to understand what life is like there.  Both books made me realize, once again, how lucky I am to have been born in the United States in the time frame in which I am living.  And The Mountains Echoed is the story of a family who trades their youngest child to a rich childless couple so that the family can survive the upcoming harsh winter months.  It is an agreement that is for the benefit of all the parties involved but it results in great heart break with long lasting effects all around.  The book follows the lives of all those involved along with all those that the exchange touches.  It is a sad book and not a book I can say I liked the story line.  But I feel like it is an important book.  And it is a book that can foster understanding.  Khaled Hosseini has a charity that one can donate to.  Click HERE to learn more.  Also click on the author's name and book title above to find more information.  Enjoy the video that follows in which the author talks about his novel.   This best selling novel is one that I recommend people read in addition to this author's other books.  They are well written and clarify a culture that it behooves us to understand better in todays world. 



  





No comments:

Post a Comment